Saturday, November 26, 2011

9km- Combining running with parenting

Running for me on the weekends presents a whole different challenge that during the week. On weekends, I have to combine running with being a parent of three small children (1,4 & 6yrs. old). Leaving them with the other parent is not always an option, so one option is to take them with. I have devised two ways of doing this and I was hoping to try option 2 today. The first method is to have the oldest one on a bike and the two younger kids in a double stroller. This gets me at most 5km, but when running after a 6yr. old on a bike, pushing a double stroller and on top of that screaming 65% of the time, "Stay on the side of the road" or "car coming!" the work out is good enough for me.
My second option was going to be to go to the high school track. It was sunny when I woke up and thought this may work. I don't know if 5km would be possible, but it was worth a shot. The kids would get out and run around a bit and I could run around the track and see them the whole time. I planned on bringing a single jogging stroller for the little one just in case. The weather had other plans and as I stepped outside it began to rain. Thus, my second option has not yet been tested.
There is actually a third option. If the little one naps, then theoretically I can run up and down my street (a 200m dead end) about a billion times to get something resembling a work out while the two bigger kids ride bikes on the street or play in the yard where I can see them. I did this once for a grand total of 21 minutes. It was horrendously boring, so I am really not up for repeating the adventure.
In any case today I went outside, saw the rain and left the kids home with dad. I took a new route today and ran to a lake where we swim in the summer. Often the road is blocked because it goes behind a shooting range. But today it was open. Then I ran to another lake that I often run around, but not right next to it. So quite the scenic run today.
Check out my run online.

No comments:

Post a Comment