Wednesday, November 16, 2011

10,47km- Pain, less pain and a little bit of freedom

Today started out like any other day. I talked myself into running and had decided on a new route- run 5km in a new direction and back. I had had some lingering joint pain recently that I attributed to my over worn running shoes, but I did not think about it too much. I went outside, "located satellites" (I love that part of turning on my GPS running watch. I feel so high-tech), and started down the road, but OUCH!! My hip and knee hurt so much that I debated first, walking (Gasp!) or just turning around.
Before I did either, I thought of an article on barefoot running that I coincidentally read this morning. The article mentioned that many people who had joint pain due to running experienced a certain amount of relief when switching to barefoot running. To start the transition to barefoot running it was recommended to first to "experiment with a forefoot strike on your regular runs using your usual footwear." Well, I tried that and voila! pain one. Nice. So I ran like that for 10 minutes and switched back to regular running heel-toe and I felt fine. I happily completed my 10km.
Upon reaching 5km, suddenly realised that duh, I do not have to run exactly back the way I came from. I have my fabulous PS watch which will tell me when 10km are up, so I don't have to run to 5 and back like I used to pre-GPS days when I measured most distances with time or the car odometer. This lead me to a beautiful area where with the adrenaline pumping in my blood and the sun shining in my eyes and reflecting off a dazzling blue lake, surrounded by lush green moss and pine trees, I could almost imagine it was 5am on a brisk summer morning rather than 11am on a rare sunny day in November.
A photo of the lake I ran to.
Check out my run online.

No comments:

Post a Comment