Monday, January 16, 2012

A dark 8.02km

So a week into being back at work full time, I have come to the realization that running has to be done in the very early morning. So last night I laid everything out for morning running and went to sleep, really not knowing whether that 5am run would happen or not. I never made it to sleeping until the alarm because I kept waking up and checking the clock to see how much time I had until 5:00.  Finally at 4:52 I decided that I can just take my jogging clothes with me to work and run at lunch and somehow get by. At 4:54 I reconsidered and sleeping put on my clothes and went for a run.  At the end of my short, 150m dead end street I had two options- go for my regular 9km lap to the left or head right and run around my subdivision. To the left was pitch blackness and to the right was my dinky subdivision, all 6 streets or so in some light from street lamps. While the more boring choice, I did choose the right and did 3 laps around the subdivision (5km) until I could not take the laps anymore and headed into the darkness 2km to the kindergarten down the road. Once I was completely away from the streetlamps it was actually quite nice and calming. The snow gave off enough reflection from the moon to make it possible to see around me and a light farther away gave me a certain comfort as well. Once I got near the kindergarten a snow man came out of nowhere and I scared myself, but pounded on until I got back home 56 minutes later for a total of 8.02km. 8km in 56min?  Yes- quite slow on the ice and snow covered roads, but 5am in the dark on ice is not the place I am going to set any records. Maybe tomorrow morning if motivation holds I will go straight into the darkness for my standard 9km lap in almost complete darkness. I almost wish I had some cross-country skis.   

No stats online today as I could not find my upload cable this morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment